Captain John Turner, merchant mariner built this dark rambling multi-gabled house, considered quite luxurious for its time, on Salem Harbor in 1668. It has been immotalized by Nathanial Hawthorne in his famous novel. It is a prime example of early colonial architecture with its medeival influence. Originally a 2 room structure, post and beam construction, hand hewn timbers, steep roof with gables, small window openings, built to last. A secret staircase to an old garret adds to the mystery of this old home in a town famous for its witch trails is open to the public and contains authentic period furniture.
Back to Architecture