Crane Memorial Public Library
Quincy, MA
H. H. Richardson
1880

   In 1810 the family of Thomas Crane moved to Quincy. There Crane attended school and trained as a stone cutter before moving to New York in 1829. By 1835 he owned a stone yard and prospered by dealing in Quincy granite. Besides spending his summers in Quincy, Crane visited the town frequently until his death in 1875. In 1880 Albert Crane offered the town of Quincy the funds to construct a library as a memorial to his father.
  Richardson's building is the simplest of his library designs. The overall plan is a rectangle with three major spaces, stack wing, hall and reading room arranged along the longitudinal axis. The stack wing is organized with tiered alcoves, but the ceiling is beamed. The woodwork is North Carolina pine. The exterior of the building is a rectangular mass with a sloped roof contained between two parapetted gables at the east and west ends. A single gable is placed two thirds of the way along the front from the west.
In 1908 an addition was made to house stacks to the growing book collection by William Aiken, an associate of Richardson. The design follows the original style, otherwise the Richardson building remains largely unchanged.

 
Back to H.H. Richardson

This site created by Sandra Pollock at Real Site Design
Copyright Sandra Pollock
(no part of this page or anything on this site may be copied for use on the internet)